Well, I finally got around to adding some colour to the Stonehammer that I made a few weeks back. It took quite sometime actually to get it to a stage that I was happy with. This is a rough idea that I had in mind for the hammer itself although it is obviously a little hard to recreate exactly using the materials I had to hand. When I come to start making a few more of them that I intend to send out then I will get some other material to create the colour effect. I must admit though, I am quite partial to the natural look of the original hammer in clay. I think that with a nice Terra-cotta clay they might look quite unique.
Anyway, the process I used in the photos you see here was a combination of dry-brush and wash. I first applied a base coat of gloss white with the intention of blending colours as it dried. This worked to an extent and I was quite happy with the aged effect I originally had at that stage. I later performed several washes with darker colours (black, green, and brown) before moving onto some dry-brushing to highlight certain features. I then applied another loose-wash to ‘dirty’ the hammer up once more as I was not happy with the result of the dry-brush. The eventual result is what you see here. It might not be to everyones tastes but I am happy with it. By all means, let me know what you think of it yourself.
Now all I need to do is get around to making some more — they will likely be coloured differently than this and I will have them protected with a coat of glaze.